Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Charlotte Latin coach Larry McNulty retires after 40 years

After 40 years of coaching, Charlotte Latin football coach Larry McNulty has finally decided to stop.

McNulty announced his retirement Tuesday. He'll work through the end of the school year and coach track this spring.

McNulty led his team to its eighth straight N.C. Independent Schools state football championship appearance last month and won more than 200 games.

"He's one of the most fantastic men and most talented coaches I've ever been around," Latin athletics director Jimmy Broadway said. "How to replace him? I don't even want to face trying to replace Larry McNulty."

Broadway said the school would begin a search for a replacement in January, saying he hoped to have a new coach in place by Feb. 1.

McNulty was unavailable for comment. His teams won 11 state championships, including five of the past eight. Over the past three seasons, his girls track teams have won three state titles and the boys have won two.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a class act and an amazing coach...Good Luck Coach Mac!

Anonymous said...

Mac, you taught me more about the value of hard work, personal accountability, and trusting those around me than I learned anywhere else. As long as you don't retire from fishing, I know you'll continue to be just as happy as you've ever been. I'll never be able to thank you enough.

"Hard work works"

Anonymous said...

It was an honor playing for you coach Mac, you will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Coach Mac, the ring that sits on my bookshelf is a silly, self-appreciative thing for me to have displayed as I do, but it is the hardest thing I have ever worked for. While having something so pedantically displayed that really is just a piece of metal at the end of the day, when I wake up every day and go to grab a watch from that shelf, I see that ring and am reminded of what I was capable of doing for my teammates and my Coach. You were the only reason I was able to accomplish so much having been physically blessed with so little. I know I speak for every single Hawk you've ever coached when I say that we love you and love the men you demanded us to be.

Anonymous said...

"Sht men, stop standing around like a bunch of dammed cigar store indians daydreaming about being Harry High School taking Suzie Q to the dance, daydream while you're running. On the line, gassers, on my whistle."

God I miss it.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to put in words how much this man has given to football, the schools he's coached for, and most of all his players. He always asked his players to work their hardest and give their all and I never had a problem doing it because I knew he was working even harder then I was.

A great coach and an outstanding man, I will forever cherish what he taught me and pushed me to accomplish.

Best of Blogs Charlotte said...

I love your blog! I’ve included it on a site I’ve created, which is a compilation of some of the best blogs in the city.

Anonymous said...

Coach Mac, you will be missed by all. The lessons I learned on the field I still carry with me today in life. Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Somewhere, Casper Milquetoast is weeping.

Thanks Coach.

Anonymous said...

What a tremendous impact Coach Mac has had on all of us who have had the honor of playing for him.

Holy catfish, men.

Anonymous said...

DO IT, AGAIN.

Thanks Coach Mac - nothing made a bunch of high schoolers play harder than seeing the pride you took in us on the field. You set high expectations and helped us to deliver. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Enjoy the next adventure in your life.

54

Anonymous said...

Great memories of shaving your beard after winning the state championship in 1988. I hope you can relax, fish and enjoy retirement, you deserve it!

Cameron Dickerson

Anonymous said...

Latin's had quite the fortune with football coaches as leaders and mentors with first Bob Patten and then Larry McNulty. Good luck filling this legacy.

Anonymous said...

Davidson Day in the future????