Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Providence Day top 50 recruit commits to South Carolina

Providence Day’s Tiffany Mitchell, a national top 50 girls basketball recruit, said committing to South Carolina and Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley was a huge relief.

“A lot of stress is gone,” said Mitchell, a 5-foot-10 junior guard. “This has a been a long process. It’s not really over until I sign, but I’m happy it’s over.”

Mitchell said it’s kind of funny to remember how hard she worked to get to this point -- all the 1-on-1 skills work, and running and lifting since she was much younger -- led to all the added stress of picking a college. But she said she wouldn’t trade it for anything.

She choose South Carolina over Florida, Auburn, Kentucky and Georgia Tech.

“Just knowing this decision can impact your life so much is hard,” she said. “It’s hard to make sure you make the right decision. All the times I visited South Carolina, I had a good connection with the team and the head coach mainly, more than any other school. And it’s funny that you work so hard to get in this position and then you get so stressed out, but I think it’s better having a hard time choosing than me not having anything to choose from or me wanting a school and them not wanting me.”

Mitchell averages 18.4 points, 6.9 rebounds, 4.2 steals and 3.9 assists for the Chargers (13-4), who have won eight straight games. Providence Day plays at Charlotte Country Day Friday.


ESPN ranks Mitchell No. 39 overall nationally in the junior class and No. 1 in North Carolina.

0 comments: